Wednesday, September 15, 2010

FREE INK : Creative Writing

The Poetry of Tori Bloom (Grade 9)


A note from the writer: “My poems are real. Most of them deal with things I’ve seen or been through. There isn’t one of my poems that I haven’t put my heart into. Every emotion conveyed in them is real. I mean, I’m not saying that I’ve been through everything that my poems say, but I know the feeling. My dream is to one day become a poet and to writes poems that not only people will read but can connect with.”
-Tori B.


"Red Petal"

Crimson red petal
Left here on a dying rose
In an empty vase

A drop of dew, sweet
Sliding down like a tear drop
Crystallizes to cold ice

Crimson red petal
Wilting as it falls so slow
And lands on soft snow

 
"Broken"

Her hand sweeps back to tuck
her soft hair
Behind one ear

She sits and sketches
her eyes focused on her drawing
And if she were to lift her head,
her eyes dart,
Carefully dodging the eyes of others
and if not, then she stares off at nothing

She sighs and crumples up her drawing,
disappointed in herself yet again,
and tosses it in the trash can
then gazes at her closed journal

She is silent,
wondering to herself...
What would I have been?
who would I be?
If those others long ago...
hadn't gone and broken me?




The Life of Someone Not Me
 By: Tori Bloom

Smile, laugh, bite my lip
Do everything they say
I'm wishing I was just myself
Not putting on a play.

Don't wear this
Don't do that
I'm under their control
I've got no choice, I figure
Am I right to say I don't?

My motto is live life
And maybe that's what I do
But what's the point of living life
When your life does not belong to you?

Northern Lights
By: Tori Bloom


The light plays in the sky
Contrast to the eye
A strike of blue-green
And all colors in between
Sparkling and divine
The stars do align
As if in applause
The dark slowly withdraws
And on this night of nights
I sit and sigh,
Watching the lights play up in the sky



Unspoken Love

By: Kari Herren


“Rain keeps falling,” he said clearly saddened by her death.
            “Time for the sun to set, darkness comes alive.” He started to cry. While listening in on what he was whispering, two guests started gossiping.

            “She hasn’t said anything to him since they’ve known each other. I think they maybe said one or two things max.”


            “What do you mean?”


            “They had a strangely cute relationship…”


-6 years ago from present day-
            “Hey, Adam,” Sandra said blushing.


              But all he did was wave. Forever.


            "Hey” was all she could say, but he just waved. Sandra had been crushing on him since the junior high.  Now in the 7th grade, she’s mustered up the courage to say more to him.
            “Why won’t he ever talk to me?” Sandra said to her BFF, Chloe.
            “I don’t know. Hey, ya want me to find out?”
              Sandra came up with an idea. She had three of her closest friends ask him why he wouldn't talk to her. Every girl said that they couldn’t budge a sound.


-Their senior year-

            During her senior year, he finally said hello and smiled.


            She passed out. He smiled again and ran to her rescue. Adam rushed her to the hospital and she woke up two hours later. He was sitting there fast asleep next to her bed. Sandra was very surprised. The nurse came back and gave her a couple of Tylenol so she could rest.

            “Hold on, nurse, I have a question.” Sandra said abruptly.
            “Yes Miss?”
            “How long has he been there?”
            “Oh, I believe for a few hours or so.”
             Sandra smiled and fell asleep.

            Adam came to visit her everyday but never said a word.  He bought her gifts and cards to make her feel happy. While she had been unconscious, the doctors ran some tests and found out that she had cancer. Apparently, she had had it for a long time and was lucky to still be alive. The cancer had already spread pretty far through her system and to her brain. Adam spoke to the doctor every chance he could get but never said anything to Sandra. On Tuesday, the 8th of October, (which was her birthday) he brought her a cake. He sat next to her bed and held her hand.

            “What is going on Doc?” Adam asked.
            “We took her off of chemo. We have her off all meds, too. She gave us consent due to the fact that she is not getting better.” 
            “What?!” Adam turned away in anger.
Adam started going back to her room.
“Hey,” said the doctor. “You know she loves you right?”
Adam turned and smiled. It took two more weeks for him to say anything to Sandra. All he said was, “I love you.” 
             Sandra smiled back with as much strength as she could find.

-Present Day-

            “She’s having a hard time doing anything. The doctor doesn’t think she’ll have longer than a week or so,” Adam said to his mother.
            “Are you going to talk to her honey?”


            “I don’t need to, mom.”
They said good bye and he hung up the phone. Adam sat next to her with his hand in his pocket. He felt around inside his pocket.
“Will you marry me?”
              Sandra sat up quickly and smiled.
              “Yes!”
              They had a small ceremony in the hospital with just the closest of family.
             “Sandra, you look gorgeous,” said her mother proudly.
             “Thank you, mom.”

             Sandra sat next to Adam as he stood next to her. The priest began the ceremony.
           
             “You may now kiss the bride,” said the priest.

              Adam practically pounced at her for their very first kiss. And it also happened to be their last…the funeral was held one week later from the wedding.

            Three of Sandra’s family members spoke at the ceremony. He was very heart broken and sat there with his head down. After the last person spoke, Adam stood up to speak.


"We spoke only three times in our life. Those words we spoke were "hello" and "I love you."  We needed no words to find out how in love we were ― we were with each other. I spent every day in the hospital with her and we always knew. I asked her to marry me. In my whole life of knowing her, I knew we were soul mates. To never say anything and still know one another's feelings is unimaginable. But it happened. Sandra and I were in love. This is the most I ever said about her to anyone. All I can say now is that I love her.”

             He sat back down and was almost in tears. “I love you, Sandra.”